GeneralFacts & Figures
The province of Groningen has about 585,000 inhabitants spread over 23 municipalities. Most residents in the province are between 20 and 50 years. The capital of the province is Groningen. Other large places are Hoogezand, Stadskanaal, Veendam and Delfzijl
The province has a total area of 2,968 km² (including land and water 628 2340). The population density is 242 people per square kilometer. The potential labor force counts 395 144. The number of business establishments is 31,342. The number of business establishments with more than 100 employees is approximately 125. The total number of farms is 28,800. Finally Groningen is an agricultural province 70 percent of the area is farmland. Where in the rest of the Netherlands decreases the amount of farmland, this area in our province has remained stable.
Groningen is a province with a rich history dating back to the early Middle Ages and - witness the recent excavations in the city of Groningen - well into the time before that. Now we are an enterprising and innovative province, with plenty of space for nature and recreation.
Business activity in the province of Groningen
Amidst a land of green space and is the province's economic heart of the city of Groningen with more than 200,450 inhabitants. There you will find the University of Groningen, the colleges, the University Medical Center Groningen, Gasunie and numerous government agencies and service companies. Besides the city of Groningen, the province has a bustling core in Eemshaven and the port of Delfzijl. Thanks to this region stood Groningen in 2010 and 2011 in the top 3 of the best performing economic regions Netherlands.
The main sectors are:
- Agriculture (bio-based economy)
- Life sciences (healthy ageing)
- Chemistry (salt chemistry and specialty chemicals)
- Energy (fossil and renewable)
- Call and customer contact centers
More facts & figures
- Province of Groningen: www.provinciegroningen.nl
- Northern Development Company: https://www.nvnom.com/
- The International Welcome Center North (IWCN) is a one-stop shop for international people living in Groningen, Friesland and Drenthe. We offer government formalities, information, and social activities http://iwcn.nl/